Saturday, December 12, 2009

New Beginnings and Endings

Today is a both a day for celebration and a day of great sadness for me.

Yesterday was my last day of classes for this semester. As of now, I've passed all of my classes, and I am quite happy with my grades. I'm just waiting for one more grade to be posted.

Sadly, on the heels of this semester's end comes the news of a dear friend and classmate's passing.

He was on his way home to his family when he and a friend were involved in a tragic car accident. The other passenger survived, but it was too late for my friend. Details of exactly what happened remain unclear at this time.

I wasn't necessarily close friends with this person, but I knew him fairly well. He was always kind and had a smile on his face. He would always ask how I was doing every time he saw me.

The news of his passing was shocking and hard for me to believe. Even as I type this, my hands are still shaking.

This event only reminded me how quickly everything can change in an instant. Our time on this earth limited, and we need to live each moment in appreciation for the people in our lives.

I still don't want to believe that our friend is gone. He was such a bright light in our lives, but I know that his light will shine on.

No comments: